Japanese Government Plan for Miyagi Prefecture Reconstruction
Outline of Principle Policies for Miyagi Prefecture Earthquake Disaster Restoration (preliminary draft)
～The Bond of Miyagi, Tohoku, Japan / From Regeneration to Further Development～
○To provide a summary of the principle policies of Miyagi Prefecture with regard to restoration following the Great East Japan Earthquake.
○To draw up a reconstruction plan based on these principle policies and link this to concrete/specific business development.
Each individual citizen as an agent for restoration
With a spirit of togetherness in Miyagi, Tohoku and Japan we aim for each citizen to realize their individual roles in the reconstruction effort and for the nation, prefecture, municipality and local organizations to come together to reconstruct and further develop the prefecture.
Not merely “restoration” but also “reconstruction”
We do not aim to simply “restore” rather, we aim to develop an appropriate infrastructure through fundamental “reconstruction” in diverse areas including, agriculture forestry and fishing, commerce and industry, manufacturing, and the upgrading and placement of community facilities/disaster prevention facilities.
Forward-thinking urban planning that responds to the problems facing modern society
As we push forward with the restoration effort, we aim to pursue forward-looking urban planning that responds to issues surrounding modern society such as population decline, falling birthrate, an aging population, environmental conservation and coexistence with nature, and the development of safe and secure local communities.
Develop a model for reconstruction after catastrophic damage
By achieving a restoration process that incorporates new ideas and initiatives, we aim in 10 years’ time (2020) to have developed a model for recovery from catastrophic damage.
① Timescale ・10-year plan, 2011-2020
・Restoration period (3years), Regeneration period (4 years), Development period (3 years)
② Agents for reconstruction
・Individual citizens to become agents for recovery,
combined with a government system providing full
support to private sector activities
③ Support needed
・Human and material support from the government, other prefectures, municipalities, and the private sector
・Large scale reconstruction contracts/projects directly implemented by the government (reducing the burden on the prefecture and afflicted municipalities)
・Flexible and secure fiscal measures in the form of large scale government disaster recovery grants/local government grants (securing funds for the prefecture and afflicted municipalities)
・Establishment of flexible systems that prioritize restoration of afflicted areas. Application of special legislation and specific systems that reflect the actual situation in the afflicted areas (flexible operation of regulations)
（3）Matters of top priority
Life support for disaster victims
(provide temporary housing (30,000 homes), facilitate secondary evacuation, provide life support for disaster victims, support for repairing homes etc.)
Prompt restoration of public facilities and lifeline utilities
(restore roads, ports, waterways, coastal areas, airport, railways, water and sewage systems, electricity, gas, communications)
Recovery of administrative functions in afflicted municipalities
(restore facilities, official documents and information systems; secure personnel etc.)
(remove the huge volume of waste left by the tsunami within 1 year, and dispose of this waste within 3 years)
Securing the education environment
(secure nursery, elementary, junior and high school education, ensure sufficient facilities and teaching staff, and promptly restore social education and educational facilities)
Securing insurance, medical care, and welfare
(restore facilities in afflicted areas, secure health and sanitation, support those providing relief)
Securing employment and living expenses
(secure employment and living expenses for disaster victims and employment for recent graduates)
Initial restoration of agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries
(restore agricultural land, fishing grounds and forests, and provide financial support for markets, distribution, and sales etc.)
Restoration of commerce and industry
(provide financial support in the form of operating capital and funds for the restoration of facilities and services. Business consultation etc.)
Rebuilding a safe and secure local community
(re-examine disaster prevention schemes, restore disaster prevention facilities and services, monitor radiation, secure systems of law enforcement)
（4）Restoration of coastal settlements affected by the disaster
○ The coastal towns/cities of Kesennuma, Minamisanriku, Ishinomaki, Onagawa, Higashi Matsushima, Matsushima, Rifu, Shigoama, Tagajo, Shichigahama, Sendai, Natori, Iwanuma, Watari, Yamoto, suffered enormous damage as a result of the huge tsunami. Full restoration of these areas will not be possible.
○ Regeneration through the reformulation of a new “grand design” for cities and towns that takes a medium-long term view is a must.
○ In particular, with regards to the grand design of residential areas, agricultural regions, fishing ports, harbor areas, commercial and industrial areas, there is a need to fundamentally revise the way of thinking of local residents/cities/towns in terms of the nature of disaster prevention and industrial development etc.
○ Provision of full and long-term support for the restoration efforts of local communities from a variety of sources including the government, prefecture, other municipalities, business, and other organizations.
○ Prevent unregulated use of land, and promote new urban development by supporting the realization of a restoration plan for cities/towns that includes building restrictions, town planning, human/personnel and technological support etc.
（5）Restoration of the whole prefecture
○ Damage resulting from the earthquake and tsunami has been enormous, and has greatly affected all aspects of citizens’ lives.
○ 今後、基本方針に基づき、議会、県民、市町村、有識者等の意見を踏まえながら「（仮称）宮城県震災復興計画」を策定する（平成 23 年 8 月中を目途、９月議会に議案として上程予定）。
Translation by our Japanese based team