Design Fellow, Sri Lanka
Location: Kilinochchi, Sri Lanka
Start Date: September 1st (est.)
Type: Design Fellow
Architecture for Humanity is seeking an architect with experience in the humanitarian sector to spend 4 months on the ground developing a schematic design proposal for a series of community centers across Sri Lanka.
The project is a partnership with UN-Habitat, as part of a larger program to provide 30,000 houses and up to 80 new community buildings for post-conflict reconstruction. This initial phase of the project will deliver a design proposal for a community center prototype that can be translated to up to 3 pilot sites. The design will prioritize low cost, low maintenance, environmentally sensitive architecture that demonstrates innovative use of local materials and construction techniques.
The position is an opportunity for a dedicated professional to create positive social change by raising the standards for community architecture in Sri Lanka. It will be seen by the ideal candidate as a rewarding opportunity to use their skills to empower communities through the process of participatory design.
- Act as a representative of Architecture for Humanity and liaise between clients, project partners and UN-Habitat.
- Establish (in conjunction with UN-Habitat) roles, responsibilities, milestones and project goals.
- Assess and select up to 3 sites for the pilot study.
- Engage in community engagement workshops and participatory design exercises at each of the sites.
- Create a design brief for each site that will inform both the template and specific designs.
- Produce a conceptual design and translate this into specific schematic designs for each of the sites.
- Produce architectural plans, drawings, models and presentations to document the designs and communicate them effectively to project stakeholders and partners.
- Report regularly on project progress.
- Perform scope of work in accordance with Architecture for Humanity’s obligations and best interests.
Qualifications (Please apply only if you meet all requirements)
- Five or more years of professional experience post professional academic degree (preferred).
- Extensive experience with community engagement and participatory design methodologies.
- Experience with sustainable construction techniques.
- Demonstrated experience designing creatively with vernacular materials and construction techniques.
- Strong architectural drawing, graphics and communication skills.
- Fluent English, with knowledge of Sinhala or Tamil preferred.
- Prior experience working in developing contexts, disaster zones or with vulnerable populations.
- Good inter-personal communication skills.
- A work ethic that is flexible and easily adaptable.
- Willingness to live and work in very basic conditions.
Commitment: Full-time (40 hours/week) for 4 months
Logistics: The Design Fellow will be embedded with the UN-Habitat team for the duration of their stay. Accommodation, transport and logistical support will be provided, as will access to engineering consultant services (if required).
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume and portfolio by August 30th to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Design Fellow – Sri Lanka” as the subject of your email.
Please note that this is not a benefits eligible position.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.