Winter 2014 VOLUNTEER INTERNSHIP//GRAPHIC DESIGN // RECONSTRUCTION & RESILIENCY STUDIO
Location: HQ - San Francisco, CA
Start Date: January 13, 2014
Type: Studio Volunteer Intern
Application Deadline: November 15, 2013
(applications reviewed on an ongoing basis)
Architecture for Humanity's Reconstruction and Resiliency Studio is looking for an enthusiastic team member with knowledge in design and construction, understanding of construction administration, strong graphic design skills, and an interest in grant research and writing.
The intern will have the opportunity to work closely with Program managers, and learn about disaster resiliency and reconstruction, while developing their skills in graphic design and research.
Programs in the Reconstruction and Resiliency studio include the Haiti Reconstruction Program, Japan Rebuilding Program, Hurricane Sandy Reconstruction Program, Rebuild Moore Program, and Disaster Resiliency Program.
- Create high-quality visual program reports using Adobe CS5 software
- Write program updates on AFH Drupal-based website
- Package proposals for funding opportunities; includes revising Excel spreadsheets and some writing
- Research disaster-related topics
- Coordinate meetings between field staff and HQ staff
- Provide some administrative support for tracking contract records, funding opportunities and other tasks as needed
- Keep Architecture for Humanity and the Studio team informed of any issues or opportunities that arise at any point during the process
- Represent the best interests of Architecture for Humanity
Skills required (Please only apply if you meet all requirements)
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Basic quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Self-directed with consistent follow-through
- Flexible, agile and able to learn quickly
- Highly proficient in word, Excel, and presentation applications such as PowerPoint or Keynote; Adobe Creative Suite preferred, Salesforce preferred
- Design sensibilities, coupled with a keen sense of business acumen
- Video-editing experience not required but a plus
3 - 6 months (full-time; 35+ hours per week)
If you wish to apply, please email your complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 15, 2013. **Please include the internship you are applying for in the subject line of your email.** Your application must include:
- Portfolio and/or work samples
- Professional writing sample (less than two pages)
- Also include a short proposal (no more than 500 words) describing your ideal internship experience at our headquarters. This proposal will help us solidify the internship positions we offer and further enable us to appropriately match prospective interns with our projects.