Assistant to the Executive Director
Location: San Francisco, CA
Start Date: Immediate
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt Salary
Fields of Interest: Humanitarian Aid Services, Humanitarian Architecture, International Development
Compensation: Competitive rate commensurate with experience, full benefits including 403(b) retirement plan.
Position Description: The Executive Director at Architecture for Humanity is the driving force behind our strategic planning and organizational development and serves as the most senior leadership for the organization’s business operations and functions. The Assistant to the Executive Director is a highly organized, detail‐oriented individual with a passion for administration and a desire to serve alongside our leadership as they shape the future of the organization.
This position requires a high level of administrative skill in a fast‐paced environment to maximize the work of the Executive Director, while developing new systems and processes for improving efficiency and workflow. In addition, the Assistant must be skilled at interpersonal relationships and communicating on behalf of an Executive with the organization’s Board of Directors, Staff, volunteers, funders, supporters, and the public. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Maintains executive's appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Conserves executive's time by reading, researching, and routing correspondence; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications.
- Represents the executive by attending meetings in the executive's absence; speaking for the executive.
- Welcomes guests and customers by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics.
- Tracks receipts and prepares expense reports on behalf of the Executive Director.
Board of Directors Liaison:
- Assist Executive Director in Board Meeting preparation.
- Assist the Board of Directors with their regular meeting including preparation and distribution of materials, coordination with Board Committees and Staff Liaisons, reminders, scheduling, and logistics.
- Take official notes at the Board of Directors Meeting, review for accuracy, and distribute to members in a timely manner.
- Follow up on Board Requests as authorized by the Executive Director.
- Contributes to the organizational effort as directed by the Executive Director.
- Works with the Development Team to coordinate Executive Director’s role in fundraising.
- Follows up with Staff on requests from the Executive Director.
- On occasion (approximately 10%), travel with the Executive Director to major national and international events.
- Three or more years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin.
If interested, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Assistant to the Executive Director” in the subject line.