Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports To: Executive Director
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits package including health, dental, and 403(b) retirement plan
Architecture for Humanity is seeking a Development Director to strategically lead the organization’s fund development function and staff to better meet its goals of increasing unrestricted revenue, diversifying revenue streams, and raising funds to support large-scale initiatives such as resilience planning, design and education.
The Development Director oversees, manages, and directs all individual, corporate, foundation and special initiative/project fundraising activities for AFH. S/he will lead the six-person Development team to meet the revenue needs of the organization. Additionally, the Development Director is responsible for working collaboratively with independent consultants in the development field hired by AFH.
This position reports to the Executive Director. Four development staff positions and two communications positions comprise the development team, all of whom are located in San Francisco headquarters and reporting directly to the Development Director.
- Works in partnership with the ED and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and diversified fund development strategy to sustain and grow the revenue base of AFH. Inspire and motivate the Development Team and oversee.
- AFH’s development efforts to raise funds to meet the annual operating budget;
- Ensure that all fundraising campaigns are well organized, well executed and lay the foundation for future increases in donor support;
- Lead and participate in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors in order to grow, strengthen and nurture AFH’s donor base;
- Ensure excellent donor stewardship via individualized and effective means;Oversee the maintenance and expansion of AFH’s website, e-appeals and social network activities to achieve fundraising objectives and goals through online giving;
- Lead the Grants team to maintain, cultivate and increase foundation support. Work with staff to identify AFH work that is fundable and identify new sources of foundation support;
- Involve the Executive Director, Board members and other AFH staff in the above fundraising activities, as appropriate;
- Position AFH with corporate and cause marketing activities;
- Keep up with trends in philanthropy to keep AFH on the forward edge of acquiring donor support in the future; and With the Executive Director participate in the identification, recruitment and stewardship of potential and existing Board Members; and Staff and provide leadership to the Board of Director’s Development Committee.
Public Awareness / Communitcations:
- Oversee public outreach activities, including media campaigns related to raising funds or promoting awareness about AFH and its impact on humanitarian design and construction;
- Oversee comprehensive communications strategy and calendar of activities to promote AFH externally;
- Work closely with external PR manager to position AFH in press and media;
- Continue to develop the case for support for external publications, website and donor materials;
- Make public presentations and appeals to prospective corporate, foundation, individual and congregation funders; and
- Represent AFH at community functions as appropriate.
- Ensure that donor management systems are implemented and fully utilized and that donor cultivation strategies are fully supported through appropriate technology;
- Assure the strong management of the donor database, integrity and accuracy of the information, and the prompt, accurate acknowledgement and recognition of donor contributions;
- Establish and oversee development of gift processing policies, systems and procedures built on ethical standards for soliciting and reporting;
- Deliver the strategy and provide the appropriate oversight to continuously improve the operations and related processes needed to effectively support all fundraising and marketing initiatives;
- Develop and manage the annual fundraising budget and work plan; track and report results to the Executive Director and the Board;
- Support future growth efforts of the organization by participating in strategic planning activities and providing fundraising analysis to the management team and the Board; and
- Participate on the senior management team to provide leadership and direction for AFH’s policies, programs and operations.
- Model a leadership style that is open, supportive, and encouraging to staff, treating team members as respected colleagues;
- Set strong vision for development team, including clear objectives and goals. Motivate team to meet clear department goals and take the time to celebrate milestones along the way;
- Provide strong professional development support for the fundraising team and mentor individuals toward greater professional achievement; and
- Maintain a strong team espirit de corps and healthy working environment within the department. Reinforce and build positive morale amongst team members to increase staff retention.
Qualifications & Experience:
Experience: A minimum of eight years of experience in fundraising with progressive experience in multi-channel development work.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree and/or post-graduate training in fundraising is preferred.
Competencies & Attributes
The successful professional will have or be:
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission and vision of the Architecture for Humanity;
- A decisive leader who carefully considers the ideas and input others and makes an informed, thoughtful decision;
- A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through;
- A facilitator, collaborator, and coordinator with outstanding leadership abilities and interpersonal skills;
- An effective, thoughtful, and clear communicator who is accessible to staff and is an active listener;
- The ability to establish and maintain an atmosphere of openness and trust;
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing;
- Ability to work under pressure at times;
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability;
- Sound judgment, professionalism, a calm demeanor, and a positive attitude;
- Outgoing, straightforward, creative, and self-motivated;
- One who shares information readily, listens and offers advice and respects the abilities of others;
- Team-focused -- must enjoy and be successful at working on teams and able to roll up one’s sleeves and make things happen as an individual;
- A sense of humor and ability to see the humanity in situations; and
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, sophistication, self-confidence, and flexibility.
For additional information on this opportunity, please contact:
Claire LeTard Heap