FALL 2013 VOLUNTEER INTERNSHIP: New York Regional Office
Location: Architecture for Humanity New York Regional Office; NYC, NY
Start Date: Immediately
Type: Volunteer Intern, part-time or full-time
Number of open positions: 2
Application Deadline: September 20, 2013
Architecture for Humanity's New York Regional office currently works closely with the Reconstruction and Resiliency Studio at HQ to manage the Hurricane Sandy Reconstruction Program.
The office requires a team member with design and construction knowledge, understanding of construction administration, strong graphic design skills, and an interest in grant research and writing, to assist us at the New York Regional office. The intern will have the opportunity to work closely with Program managers and learn about disaster resiliency and reconstruction.
- Create high-quality visual program reports using Adobe CS5 software.
- Write program updates on AFH Drupal-based website
- Package proposals for funding opportunities; includes revising AutoCAD files, Excel spreadsheets and some writing.
- Research disaster-related topics.
- Coordinate meetings between field staff and HQ staff.
- Support field staff with homeowner engagement during Sandy Anniversary Week.
- Attend and document community engagement during community events.
- Provide some administrative support for tracking contract records, funding opportunities and other tasks as needed.
- Keep Architecture for Humanity and the Studio team informed of any issues or opportunities that arise at any point during the process.
- Represent the best interests of Architecture for Humanity.
Requirements (Please only apply if you meet all requirements)
- Currently residing in the New York City vicinity
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Basic quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Self-directed with consistent follow-through
- Flexible, agile and capable of learning quickly
- Highly proficient in word, Excel, Indesign (Adobe Creative Suite preferred) and presentation applications such as PowerPoint or Keynote; Salesforce preferred
- Design sensibilities, coupled with a keen sense of business acumen
3 - 6 months (minimum 21 hours / 3 days per week)
*Please note that this is a volunteer position with no personal expenses (housing, personal transportation, health insurance, etc.) covered.
If you wish to apply, please email your complete application to email@example.com no later than September 13, 2013. Your application must include:
- Portfolio and/or work samples
- Professional writing sample (less than two pages)
Also include a short proposal (no more than 500 words) describing your ideal experience working with Architecture for Humanity.