Posted by Karl Johnson on Jan 18, 2012
Related program: Haiti Rebuilding Center
Architecture for Humanity, Haiti, is pleased to announce the selection of the winning artists for the first round of schools for the Civic Art in Schools Program. Selections are made following a Request for Qualifications issued last Summer, and responses from dozens from artist communities around the country.
We would like to thank all the artists for their enthusiastic participation. We were impressed with the caliber and variety of the entrants and look forward to making a second round of artist selections in the coming months. The winning artists have been matched to the first round schools as follows:
School /Selected Artists
1. Digicel’s College Classique d'Haiti – Shiler St Eloi
2. Digicel’s Ecole Communale de Portail Léogane - Josué Blanchard
3. Foyer du Savoir – Evens Arcelin
4. Children’s Academy - Jacques Eugene
5. Elie Dubois - Jean Altemor Fremont
6. Ceverine - Lionel St Eloi
7. Bon Berger, Pélé – Celeur
8. Bon Berger, Montruis - Lunda Alexis
We will be meeting with the artists and starting workshops with the schools in the next few days. The installation of the work for the round one schools should be complete by early March 2012.
We are excited that the selections represent both established and emerging Haitian artists. We would like to thank the artists, the schools, the selection panel, and the sponsors for making this program a success.
Please visit the WorldChanging page for updates.
Josué Blanchard at work in his studio. Image by Josué Blanchard