Start Date: Immediate
Position Type: Full-Time
Successful applicant will possess a technical knowledge of structural engineering principles, combined with a minimum of 8 years of broad-based structural engineering experience. Applicant must be a registered professional engineer with relevant experience in the design of structures in extreme seismic and hurricane wind regions. Position requires applicant to perform the duties and responsibilities in line with goals, objectives, and humanitarian focus of Architecture For Humanity (AFH), and especially as is needed in the Haiti office. Applicant will work with Haitian engineers, architects, and contractors throughout the design/construction process to develop successful projects. The position requires close interaction with Haitian people to understand their needs, to work with and improve upon existing design/construction practices, and to contribute to the sustainability of a better future for Haiti.
Position is full time and requires relocation to Port au Prince.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide AFH with technical and practical guidance of structural engineering solutions
- Work closely with AFH staff to develop best-quality construction documents
- Conduct in-house training to AFH staff on good design and construction practices being implemented to build Haiti back better
- Manage multiple projects in varying degrees of completion
- Teach better design and construction practices to Haitian engineers, architects, construction workers, people
- Analyze multi-story concrete, masonry, and steel structures using RAM, ETABS, STAAD, RISA, or other structural analysis software
- Resolve conflicts that arise between existing conditions and design intent of the construction documents
- Assist AFH management with development of proposals, business development, budget management, quality development
Skills and Abilities:
- Possess excellent communication skills for understanding and conveying structural prinicples relevant to Haiti to clients
- Have a working knowledge of the following U.S. based codes – ACI 318, ACI 530, AISC 325, AISC 341, ASCE7-05, AISI, 2009 IBC
- Be familiar with the following design guidelines and documents relative to the Caribbean region:
- Caribbean Application Document For ASCE 7-05 Chapter 6 Wind Loads; By Tony Gibbs, November 2008
- Design Acceleration Response Spectra For Port-au-Prince; by DR. Brady Cox, University of Arkansas, November 18-19, 2010
- Cartes de zonage d'accélérations spectrales pour HaIti ; by Nicolas Luco et Arthur D. Frankel, U.S. Geological Survey
- Documentation For Initial Seismic Hazard Maps For Haiti; by Arthur D. Frankel, Stephen Harmsen, Charles Mueller, Eric Calais, et Jennifer Haase, U.S. Geological Survey
- Have excellent usage skills with Microsoft Office and the internet
- Excellent project management and documentation skills
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree from accredited university
- Master of Science degree from accredited university, preferred
- Candidate must be chartered or licensed in their home jurisdiction.
- Seismic experience preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant and diverse structural engineering experience
- Experience working in A/E office environment
- Strong understanding of structural theory for proper usage and interpretation of computer analysis results
- Strong on-site construction experience
- Previous work experience in disaster recovery and developing regions, preferably earthquake-damaged areas
- Fluent in English
- Oral and written capabilities with French and/or Haitian Creole a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience. Architecture for Humanity offers a competitive salary and benefits and the opportunity to join a staff dedicated to harnessing the power of design to change lives.
Please send your resume, salary requirements and references to the attention of Twyla Parks, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com. and include the position title in the subject line of your email.
Principal applicants are only being considered for role. Recruiters, please do not contact Architecture For Humanity in reference to this position.