When first they sprout from the ground or retrofit an existing building, the Gamechangers New Delhi projects may be hard to read. But before the end of the Summer, youth-focused nonprofit Magic Bus will be working with Mission to the Unreached and the Asha Deep Foundation to bring sports facilities to extremely under-serviced neighborhoods in New Delhi.
Magic Bus operates in urban and rural areas throughout India. The nonprofit is dedicated to engaging and educating children in the poorest communities in these areas, through sport. Under Nike's Gamechangers Program in Delhi, Architecture for Humanity is upgrading and developing sports infrastructure and supporting facilities simultaneously at two locations.
These days, Design Fellow Keshav Kumar is bouncing back and forth between the two sites, guiding construction on the two emerging sports centers. The institutions are both run by local community partners engaged by MagicBus to host sports programs for neighborhood children.
Design of facilities have been finalized and work has been awarded to contractors. Construction began in May, with expectd completion by mid-July 2012.
Both centers employ common construction strategies ensuring the comfort, safety and sustainability of the people using it:
- Rainwater harvesting pits, for diverting rainwater to ground table;
- Naturally ventilated spaces, with shading/ partially-covered spaces ideal in the harsh climate;
- Employ masons and construction workers from surrounding villages/ urban poor communities around the sites;
- Low cost but durable construction methods
Mission to the Unreached Foundation
MTU, Sector 121, Noida, Uttar Pardesh, India
FACILITIES PLANNED & STATUS
1. Pavilion for assembly, and training sessions - (foundation for the pavilion has been cast and columns have been raised halfway)
2. Wading pool for children (excavation is complete, pool base & side wall construction begins tomorrow)
3. Kitchen, change rooms for boys and girls, sanitation improvements, safe drinking water fountains
4. Sports ground with turf, half handball court and basketball hoop
Asha Deep Foundation School
Shahid Nagar, Gaziabad, Uttar Pardesh, India
FACILITIES PLANNED & STATUS
1. Shaded sports stands for assembly/ spectating (inclined base support structure has been constructed)
2. Change rooms for boys and girls, sanitation improvements, installation of clean drinking water fountain
3. Classrooms/ sports training rooms, conference hall, small office (outer wall has been constructed and internal walls and door layout is being modified, floor has been prepared for installing stone flooring, toilet plumbing and sanitary pipes are being laid)
4. Sports ground with turf & cemented yard (existing) with badminton and basketball net