Posted by Kathy Richter on Feb 26, 2013
Architecture Design Fellows – Hurricane Sandy Reconstruction
In the closing days of October 2012, Hurricane Sandy moved up the Atlantic seaboard and turned toward New Jersey striking and destroying many coastal towns. The storm moved north and created a storm surge that has devastated the New York Metro area.
Architecture for Humanity's Reconstruction and Resiliency team is on the ground planning for long-term reconstruction. Two Design Fellow opportunities are immediately available:
Design Fellow Position-Re-new New Jersey & New York Schools: New York City, NY Location
Reporting to the Regional Program Manager, the Design Fellow will work with a team responsible for developing the design and construction oversight of a series of school sports facilities throughout the New Jersey and New York area. Experience with school projects and/or sports-related projects a plus.
Design Fellow Position-Restore the Shore: Seaside Heights, NJ Location
Reporting to the Regional Program Manager, the Design Fellow provides design and construction oversight for a series of projects within the borough of Seaside Heights, NJ as part of the Hurricane Sandy Reconstruction Program. Experience with disaster reconstruction projects is a plus.
Both Design Fellow positions involve the following criteria:
Commitment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Contract Period: 12 months
Compensation: Monthly stipend, depending on experience
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Managing designers and architects to produce construction documents, assisting in the permitting process and coordinating with the permitting agency.
- Provide administrative support for invoicing, cost reporting, meeting coordination and other tasks.
- Provide construction oversight and administration including managing bidding processes as necessary and overseeing work done by contractors and sub-contractors.
- Engage the community, funding partners and clients at all stages of the design process.
- Work and develop community partnerships in implementing projects from concept and design phase through construction.
- Work with the design team and volunteers involved in the Hurricane Sandy Reconstruction Program.
Communications & Development
- Create promotional materials to showcase the project to potential funds and the public at-large.
- Make timely reports to clients, partners and funders on the progress of the project as required.
- Document the project's progress on the Open Architecture Network.
- Work diplomatically with all partners and keep partners informed of the progress of the project on a regular basis.
- Be willing to meet with potential funders, partners and members of the press.
- Work to secure in-kind donations as necessary.
- Must have a Degree in Architecture
- Minimum 5 years of experience in design, construction documents and construction administration
- Demonstrated project and team management experience is essential
- Working knowledge of industry standard design software and Adobe Creative Suite
- LEED accreditation a plus
- New Jersey or New York resident preferred. Familiarity with HTML and basic web skills preferred
- Must demonstrate dependability, trustworthiness, initiative, diplomacy, patience, assertiveness, team-orientation attention to detail and ability to work under pressure of deadlines
- Regional travel may be required
If you would like to participate in the recovery effort, email a cover letter and resume to:
Design Fellow Position-Re-new New Jersey & New York Schools
jobs+DFNY@architectureforhumanity.org Please include “DFNY” in the subject line.
Design Fellow Position-Restore the Shore
jobs+DFNJ@architectureforhumanity.org Please include “DFNJ” in the subject line.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin. We participate in the E-Verify program.