Posted by Carolina Libardi on Nov 2, 2012
Related program: Enel Cuore Community Empowerment
Location: Bologna, Italy
Start Date: Immediate
Type: Design Fellow
Architecture for Humanity is seeking an architect who will work on the reconstruction of the community and sports center of the city of San Felice, damaged by the earthquake that occurred in May 2012. The Design Fellow may also be asked to represent Architecture for Humanity in other projects and initiatives in the region if needed. This is a great opportunity for a mid-career designer to work with a local community, partners, and architects on projects with international exposure.
The Enel Empowerment program is an initiative led by Enel Cuore that will build capacity in communities living in rural and urban areas affected by considerable poverty and social disadvantage. The outcome of this program will promote social development and empowerment for local communities without access to innovative and sustainable design solutions.
Link to program page
- Work with the community, funding partners and clients to pursue the construction of the project
- Provide support and oversight of the work of our local design partners, visiting design teams and local architects
- Assist the design teams facilitate community design charrettes to ensure community engagement in decision-making
- Act as a representative and liaison on behalf of Architecture for Humanity between clients, project partners, sponsors and others
- Provide daily construction oversight, in partnership with the local architect of record and consultants, including overseeing work done by contractors and sub-contractors
- Prepare as-built drawings, as necessary
- Manage change orders and expense approvals
- Make timely reports to clients, partners and funders on the progress of the project as required
- Provide administrative support for invoicing, cost reporting, meeting coordination and other tasks
- Document the project’s progress on the Worldchanging / Open Architecture Network with weekly updates
- Perform scope of work in accordance with Architecture for Humanity’s obligations
- Be willing to meet with potential funders, partners and members of the press
- Work to secure in-kind donations as necessary
- Represent the best interests of Architecture for Humanity and its partners
(Please apply only if you meet all requirements)
- Fluency in English and Italian
- Five years professional experience (post professional academic degree) with construction administration experience
- Proficiency in Autocad and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Experience in design and the development of architectural working drawings
- Strong graphics and communication skills
- Creative, engaging, hardworking and fun
- Commitment to work in this capacity through construction completion
- Proficiency in MS Project (not required but a plus)
- Experience in construction of community facilities (not required but a plus)
Commitment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Contract Period: 6-9 months
Stipend: Design Fellow gets paid monthly stipend based on his/her experience and commitment level.
Please send cover letter, resume and portfolio to email@example.com. Please use “Application for Design Fellow - Enel Empowerment Program” as the subject of your email.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.